Sunday, September 18, 2011

How to Eat a Small Country - Amy Finley
















How to Eat a Small Country - Amy Finley (2011)

On the front jacket, the publishers have written "A family's pursuit of happiness, one meal at a time".  It wasn't the impression that I came away with from this book.

Amy is a young mother of two, who tries out for a food network competition to win a job hosting her own show.  After making six episodes of her new show, the pressure on her husband and children is ready to implode her marriage.  So they pack up and move to France for a year, to regroup and travel around and sample the local food.

Somehow though, I get the feeling that Amy doesn't actually seem to enjoy the year and is essentially frustrated.  It always seems to rain, the hotels are mostly run down and the bistros seems a bit old, dusty and tired.    Although I didn't expect them to sit around and just eat macaroons and pastries, I got a bit turned off by all the descriptions of meat and offal, and it was enough to make me think of being vegetarian if I toured France.

So a 2/5 for me.

No comments: