Wednesday, November 28, 2018

In Pieces - Sally Field

I enjoyed this memoir more than I expected to.  Rather than being the typical celebrity tell all, this is the story of the real Sally Field, the one that grew up with a rather sad childhood, with few friends and a bit neglected by her actress mother, with a step father who bullied and abused.

The little I knew about her came from shows and movies, but I nothing about her background or life.  Primarily this book focuses on her childhood and young adulthood with 2/3 of the story about her life until age 30, and then skimming over the last 40 years.  I did like that it was not full of boring meetings or stories about obscure plays and shows which I am normally left skipping pages to get through. 

I felt she let all of her vulnerability show in this book, describing the times when she was abused by people who should have taken care of her by family members and people she worked for or were in relationships with.  4/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

It's interesting that she felt the 'famous' bits of her life weren't the ones worth writing about.