Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Middle Aged Lady Movie Night - JoJo Rabbit

Well there is no choice but to have a Middle Aged Lady Movie Night at the moment, as all the cinemas are closed due to the lockdown.  I wonder if many of them will be able to return after this.  So there is no going out for movies anymore,  its all on the couch, and I am happy to mix and vodka and orange and put my feet up on the couch.

I saved JoJo Rabbit up for a Saturday night.  I like Taika Waititi, his other movies have always put a smile on my face with his special type of Kiwi humor.   JoJo Rabbit is the story of a young German boy, who in the Hitler Youth has formed his own prejudices.  It is hard to picture the movie unless you see it, as he has an imaginary friend, a bumbling Hitler played by the director Taika.  I don't know I just found it all a bit overdone.  I liked the performances of all the main characters, but felt that the supporting roles were all a bit stereotype slapstick, and to me distracted from the storytelling.  Rebel Wilson seems a sweet girl, but always plays the same bumbling simple big girl role, and Stephen Merchant as the evil Gestapo officer.

It is hard subject matter to turn into a comedy, and it I could not help but think I would have loved the story if it had a more dramatic serious tone.  For that I give it a 3.5/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

It sounds more silly than funny.