Thursday, August 13, 2020

Mudlarking - Lara Maiklem

 Lara Maiklem spends a lot of her spare time looking at the foreshore of the River Thames, looking for the debris and treasures washed up from years ago.  A book that made me smile as I read it, as it had that magic of intertwining the story of the author with history about London and the river it surrounds.  Having lived in London I could picture many of the sites she talked about, and can only imagine how smelly and filthy a hobby it must actually be, but I can imagine how compelling it is to search for pipes, toys, coins and treasure. 4/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

That would be fun, I think. 'Mudlark' was the term given to people, often children, in the old days who would make a living from such activities, rather than doing them for a hobby.