Sunday, November 22, 2009

Vicky Cristina Barcelona - dvd


Vicky Cristina Barcelona - Dvd (2008)

As usual, I intended to go and see this one, but it came out in the middle of summer here when it was hot and the evenings begged to be spent sitting by the beach, out for a walk or with a lazy dinner in the backyard. I often feel guilty, if I waste a warm evening by hiding in the cinema. Movies are for cloudy or rainy days, especially this spring when sunshine has been so hard to find.

So, essentially two girlfriends arrive to spend 8 weeks in Barcelona, staying with friends. Vicky is engaged and spending time on her studies and her bestie, Cristina is searching for love. Early on in their stay they meet the charismatic, handsome and sexy artist Juan Antonio, both becoming obsessed with him.

Directed by Woody Allen, the movie is filled with witty conversation, and I enjoyed the summer holiday feel of the movie, with the beautiful scenery and gorgeous co-stars. As with most Woody Allen movies, I somehow felt the ending was a bit blunt, I wanted a resolution, a conclusion. I felt jilted and a bit shortchanged, so it has to be a 3/5, when it could have been pushing a four.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

i saw this a few months ago and my views of it is pretty much the same as yours. i felt cheated of a perfect round off to a good movie, it was a 4 until the very anticlimatic ending. how very disappointing.