Monday, July 29, 2019

Les Miserables - Film Festival 2019

After a comedy in the afternoon, there was nothing to laugh about in this movie.  Set in Paris, in the heat of a summer this is the Paris of council flats and immigrant communities.  A new cop joins two partners of a street crime unit, and they spend the day cruising the streets.  When a confrontation begins to turn ugly, things quickly escalate with brutal consequences.

  This drama is pretty  with confrontational  with a lot of violence and a pretty grim backdrop of run down flats and rubbish filled courtyards.  I overheard one elderly man say "we live a pretty sheltered life here" as I left the cinema, and I have to agree, it is a side of Paris we don't see very often and it looked a scary place to live.  3/5


1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I still prefer the original "Les Miserables". I have to have escapism in my movies, I'm afraid.