Wednesday, December 26, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth - Al Gore

An Inconvenient Truth - Al Gore (2006)

Another person who chose to help change the world is Al Gore, who with initially his power point presentation, and then his movie was able to spread the message about global warming. I loved that movie, sitting in a midweek movie theatre in Wellington with about 20 other people I thought it was extremely thought provoking and should be compulsary viewing!!

I found the book sitting in the library, and thought it would be an interesting quick read. It was really the movie in book form, but as it was a while since I saw the film it was good to read it at my own pace. Once again I was particularly drawn to the images of glaciers, and the huge loss of ice over the previous decades.

The thing I find most interesting when you talk about this movie or book, is that the people with often the strongest opinions are the ones who haven't taken the time to take a look. I applaud the rise of the smart documentry and films like this. I think we pump our kids full of celebrity driven rubbish on tv and in magazines, and tv is full of plastic ken and barbie actresses. Gone are days that you sat on the sofa with mum and dad and all watched the same documentry (you know the ones with the terrible oboe music) and talked about what you had seen (only during the tv ads mind you).

Al Gore - I''m going to give your book a 3/5

No comments: