Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Flesh and Bone - Jefferson Bass

Flesh and Bone - Jefferson Bass (2007)
I feel like a sad crazy person for expressing my love for a good plague novel. I must say that I love a thriller much much more, but lately I have felt a bit burnt by them. I mean Patricia Cornmwell was great at the beginning, and then went crazy and seemed to be on too much vodka. She rambled and kept the unrequited love thing going longer than Rachel and Ross. Kathy Reichs, I liked you too, but you seemed to lose momentum, and I felt cheated after watching Bones on tv. First I hated it, but now I have started watching again if only because it beats watching the Desperate Barbie Housewives (please sit on those ladies and make them eat some bread).

Tess Gerritsen, you did ok for a while but I feel your candle is burning out too. So hello Jefferson Bass, a team of two men, one of whom is the real doctor from the Body Farm, the place where they watch the bodies decay. I'm not just in it for the gore, no sirree - they added a touch of humour, they write with a little social commentry added in to keep it current and I like that they express their nerdy side by sounding smart. Sort of like a Nelson DeMille or Lee Child, just with a few more bodies. Thanks also for not heading to the courtroom and adding a boring extra hundred pages on.

I'm not going to really tell you about the story - there are bodies, murders, love interests and it all kept me up reading late a couple of nights. That hasn't happened in a while.

So I'm going to give you a 4/5 and I'm off to reserve the other two books you wrote from the library.

No comments: