Sunday, July 20, 2008

Comfrort Food - Kate Jacobs

Comfort Food - Kate Jacobs (2008)

I was attempting to start another book, but struggling at page three I put it down and relegated it to the "not for me pile". Picking up Kate Jacobs book, Comfort Food indeed felt very comforting and was a much better start to a novel on a cold winters night.

Gus is a widowed mother of two grown girls who has established herself as a celebrity tv cook. Howerver forced by the rise of the young and hip tv chef, changes are made to her show and she is forced into a new format with the help of friends and family.

I don't know it felt a bit forced and formalaic to me, and although easy reading I found I struggled to stay interested and by about page 150 I was willing it to end (page 100 is a cutoff for me - if I haven't liked it by then I give myself permission to discard).

Kate Jacobs earlier novel "The Friday Night Knitting Club" was more likeable, so I am afraid Comfort Food you will only get a lowly 2/5 from me.

No comments: