Saturday, February 07, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
Well there has been a lot of hype around this one. In Wellington this weekend, the sevens rugby tournament has been on, which sees all the nubile 20 year olds fall into the rugby stadium, in crazy costumes and get drunk on beer and try to hook up with someone else, oh and maybe glance at the rugby.

Instead I went with a friend, and lots of older mores sensible folks to the opening night show of Slumdog Millionaire. I knew of the story as I had taken Q&A out of the library once, but not had the time to read it. I think it has echos of Charles Dickens, in it being a street child who as a 18 year old is chosen as a contestant in Who wants to be a Millionaire? He is able to answer each question, because of a certain experience growing up.

I am torn between giving it a 4/5 for its gritty realism, and a 5/5 because they made me smile by throwing in the last scene during the credits. Either way, I applaud the success of intelligent, and thought provoking movie making, without the need for putting Brad Pitt or Cate Blanchett in the movie.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

I've only heard briefly about this and its winning several awards, don't think it's been released at the cinemas in Sweden yet. Sounds very interesting though!