Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button


The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Dvd (2008)

I wasn't compelled to see this one when it played at the movies. Brad Pitt, well he doesn't really do much for me, as in making me want to buy an overpriced movie seat ticket. I did however look forward to this dvd, when I picked it up from the library. However when I went to sit down and watch it, they'd left the security tag on, so my night on the couch was delayed!

I think as a whole the movie was beautifully styled with sweeping scenes and many differing locations with lots of shots of Cate or Brad moving through different places and eras in time. Benjamin Button is a man who is born old and ages backwards, and throughout his life loves a girl he meets, the dancer Daisy. Daisy however has to age the usual way, and it is only in the middle that they are really able to be together.

I just wish that the emphasis had been more on the story rather than the scene setting the special aging effects. It suffered I felt from a lack of chemistry between the two characters. Cate Blanchett was luminous, and I enjoyed her character much more than Brad Pitt who seemed a bit wooden, and without a sparkle in his eye.

3/5 and make a large bowl of popcorn, it's a long one.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

haven't seen this one yet, but i want to. not a fan of mr pitt either - and it doesn't have a thing to do with the fact that his name is one of the words for 'the male bits' in swedish, but it is somewhat annoying... - he was great in '12 monkeys' though. ms blanchett is always impressive i think!