Thursday, September 05, 2019

Maid - Stephanie Land

This is not the book I thought it might be from reading the cover.  Sure for Stephanie Land  her life is not working out how she imagined it. After leaving her partner trying to  raise a young daughter mainly on her own is pretty tough.  Living with a new unsupportive partner, Stephanie takes on jobs for house cleaning services.  With minimum wages she struggles to pull in a couple of hundred dollars a week, and once she leaves to live with her daughter alone in a  small studio apartment there are only pennies to spare each week.

Don't get me wrong I admire the heck out of a single mother like Stephanie who obviously loves and cares for her daughter and puts her needs above her own, often going without food or any treats in order to provide for her child.  I did however get annoyed with her unprofessional attitude towards her clients, going through their cupboards, trying on clothes and even looking at clients family members ashes. She also seemed to not be looking for any alternative jobs that may provide more consistent hours or higher pay rates or gotten work on the weekends her daughter was with her father?

I grew up with second hand clothes and toys - I was lucky though as my mother was able to look after me, but as a child my dad worked three jobs and did night school to provide for us.  Hats off to parents like Stephanie doing it by themselves.  3/5

3 comments:

John Bellen said...

Her situation shouldn't obscure what seems to be the fact that the author is a jerk. If I were one of her customers and read what she did with her clients' belongings, I'd sue her.

sallyhicks said...

Hats off to your mum and dad too. They would be proud of you. I always had part-time jobs. Sewing at home when baby young and later 3 part-time jobs during the day after we were lucky enough to live close to my parents then. Mind you I always took off school holidays which means I could write a book on the jobs I did. (but I haven’t)My husband always worked long hours and could be away weeks at a time. Our children got doctorates and in my late 30s they persuaded me to go to varsity too. I certainly got better jobs then ending up as a freelance writer and photographer. It can be done but oh my it is not easy.

sallyhicks said...

I wish I could leave a comment on Poppy Q but my iPad still has a glitch in it. Can’t leave comments on blogs. 😩. Some of Poppy’s photo have been so cute lately. Give her lots of hugs and kisses from me. xxxxx❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ till I get it sorted.