Saturday, September 28, 2019

Middle Aged Lady Movie Night - Suite Francaise

I do remember that I read the book years ago that this movie is based on, but I didn't remember what it was about.  So  I added this one to my watchlist on Apple TV, and had to watch it last night so that I didn't waste my 99c investment.  Suite Francaise is a Second World War Drama.  Lucille is a young French woman played by Michelle Williams, who is living in a small village in a large house with her mother in law Madame Angellier (Kristin Scott Thomas). 

After the Germans occupation of France, a German Officer Bruno (Matthais Schoenaerts) is billeted at their home.  He is quiet and unassuming and plays the piano, gradually charming Lucille.  When one of the local farmers kills the officer billeted at his home, the whole village is searched to find him and the local Viscount is threatened with execution if he is not handed in.

I did enjoy the quietness of this movie, and thought that they did some things very well.  The touches and looks between Bruno and Lucille were well done, but I would have thought that they would have been more discreet at the time.  I liked the production of this movie, the houses and villages where they filmed, the womens clothing, hats and hair and makeup all felt authentic and not over done.  4/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

It was probably typical of some of the romances at the time, romances which redounded badly for many of the women involved.