Friday, April 10, 2020

Middle Aged Lady Movie Night - The Hustle

Oh hell to the no.  I'm so old that I saw Dirty Rotten Scoundrels when it came out in the cinema in 1988, and now live 10 minutes down the road from the movie theatre I saw it in. I strangely can recall the friends I went with to see the movie on a distant Friday night.    This modern day remake starring Anne Hathaway with a horrid English accent and Rebel Wilson playing the only character Rebel Wilson portrays is a pale imitation of the comedy classic. To me it is like the producers and director just read the wikipedia  entry about the 1988 movie rather than watching it or indeed understanding its subtle humor.  They then replaced the wit and intelligent comedy with skits, stereotypes  and slapstick making it a low brow poor imitation.

So it is a lowly 2/5 from me.  Better luck tomorrow night.

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

Oy. It doesn't sound good. I love your comment about the makers of the movie just reading about the original on Wikipedia. (By the way, did you know that "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" was a re-make of "Bedtime Story", starring David Niven and Marlon Brando? Quite a pairing!