Sunday, November 30, 2008

Gluten-Free Girl - Shuana James Ahern

Gluten-Free Girl - Shuana James Ahern (2007)
I had passed this book at the library, it was sitting proudly on the new books shelf, and impressed me maybe more by the fact of its prissiness and unread conditon. Somewhere in blogland I had seen a quick refernce to it, so this time I did not ignore its charms. It was coming home with me.
Shauna spent much of her youth and early adulthood feeling crap, having abdominal pains and repeated viruses, when the suggestion was made that she had Celiac disease. A disease to Gluten, which is found in wheat, it causes the small bowel to treat it as a toxin and the body reacts to the poison.
After years of eating mainly processed food, this forces Shauna to start cooking and discovering the joys of fresh fruits, vegies, different grains and unprocessed meats. She started her own blog, journalling her adventures and recipes which is turned into this highly readable book for anyone who enjoys food. Beautifully written, it is a great way to look at your own eating habits. I was also touched at the end about how her love of food, led her to real love too. Very sweet.
4/5

No comments: