Saturday, December 27, 2008

Persausion

Persausion (2007)
Persausion is one of my fave Jane Austen stories. I had returned from my OE in 1995 when the Ciaran Hind, Amanda Root cinema version reached the local arthouse movie theatre. I loved the story, especially on a wintery afternoon in a movie theatre with only two other patrons, and even did the old fashioned thing of actually reading the book. Once the dvd of this version was released a few years ago, I purchased it and have watched it several times since.

So it was a pleasant surprise to find that this version, to me was even better, my new highly recommended. It is to Jane Austens credit that she gives us a heroine so lacking in any modern movies. One who can be brunette, and plain (compared to her guady sister and other companions), yet still have a strong character and sense of humour, and be pursued the more interesting and handsome males. If it were a modern tale, she would be bookish and have glasses, and then be madeover into some uniform plastic playboy model.

Sally Hawkins as Anne, and Rupert Penry-Jones as Captain Wentworth do stellar jobs of capturing the two main characters, who were engaged 8 years prior, but had the engagement broken by the 'persuasion' of a friend due to the unsure nature of the Captains future and fortune.

Perfect for a cool winters night, and even the boys may enjoy it. 4/5 - almost perfect.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

I too enjoyed this version of Persuasion. It has been showed here on TV a few times, I missed it this past Xmas though, darn it.