Saturday, March 27, 2010

Living Oprah - Robyn Okrant


Living Oprah - Robyn Okrant (2010)

In 2008, Robyn Okrant set out on a venture to follow the advice of Oprah for a whole year. She watched every show, and read the whole magazine taking in the advice and trying to apply it to her own life.

Me, well I like Oprah, and enjoy most of the shows although I do often find it a bit preachy and the show a bit one sided and often old fashioned. I am truly annoyed with all the how to live your best life, and honour your true self rubbish. I hate that Oprah will have a show about living frugly, but be sitting in her $900 shoes that she can't wear. Buy some flats lady - let it go.

These are points that I think Robyn recognizes, and she is good at pointing out the crazy stuff, the contradictory advice, the preaching, but she also is able to tell us about the things that did work. The relationship advice that did make her husband happier, the baking with vegetables in them that people did eat, the clothes advice that made her feel good, the leopardskin shoes that did go with everything.

So I am going to give it a 4/5 - it made me smile and it wasn't a total suck up of a book.

No comments: