Thursday, June 30, 2011

Sister - Rosamund Lupton
















Sister - Rosamund Lupton (2010)

I hung onto my library reservation for this one for ages, it might have been at least four months of waiting.  So when I received a big pile it was the first one I started on.  Then tonight, when I went to post about it, I saw that my book blogger idol S.Krishna's Books had written her reviewed and loved it. 

I did want to love it, a story about a woman living in New York, who travels home to London when she gets a call to find out that her sister is missing.  Once there, she is told that her sister was depressed and killed herself, and finds that others are unwilling to consider other options.  So, by asking lots of questions, she discovers secrets about a lost baby, a married lover, threatening phone calls and a stalker.  All of it the elements of any modern thriller, but something about the narrative grated to me, and I seemed to get a touch confused as it flitted back and forth in time.

Also it seems so many thrillers end up with the main character discovering who done it, then being pursued and confronted by the axe wielding maniac, trapped in a room, and that for me stops it being believable, the climax that becomes the anti climax.

It has to be a 2/5 for me, only because at the end I was really wanting it to end.  Sorry to all those who loved it.

No comments: