Thursday, February 13, 2020

Emma

I liked the look of the trailer for this recent adaption of the Jane Austen classic Emma.  Emma is a 21 year old with a limited experience who fancies herself a match maker.  So she begins to meddle with those around her, taking a particular interest in her young friend Harriet Smith.  At first I thought that this film seemed a bit fussy, with grand houses that seemed too perfectly painted and garish, and a young Emma that was a bit too prissy and primped for my liking.  I am a bit of a fan of 90s Austen remakes with natural hair and make up, as I believe the young ladies would not have looked like they spent hours in a hairdressers chair with perfect locks and that their wardrobes would be somewhat limited as clothes and hats must have been expensive for some.

As the movie moved on, I began to warm to it more as more characters were introduced and the charm and wit of Austen became apparent.  She spins a good story and I think that the director did a good job of inserting the sly wink, the quick kiss and the subtle touch which make it all a bit romantic and realistic.  By the end I was charmed and thought that I would be happy to watch it all over again.  I loved that it looked English, and was full of characters that fit the part and that there were lovely stately homes and ramshackle farm houses and a most beautiful village for everyone to wander in.  I am going to say I enjoyed it enough to give it a 4.5/5 - almost perfect.

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I didn’t know there was a new version of “Emma”. I’m always up for good Jane Austen.