Saturday, May 25, 2019

Middle Aged Lady Movie Night - On Chesil Beach

I wasn't really bothered about seeing this one at the cinema as slow simple dramas are sometimes better watched at home on a quiet evening.  I hadn't read the book it was based on either, although I did attempt to start reading it, I gave up after several pages.  Man Booker books seem to earnest and serious for me, and are not the usual type of fiction I would choose.

The movie is about newly married young couple Florence and Edward are on their honeymoon in 1962 at a quiet hotel.  Nervous around each other, their attempt at sex is a bit disastrous and the couple end up fighting.   It is interesting thinking about relationships and how they have changed so much in a couple of generations.  How marriage for young people was often an escape from living with their parents, and how couples must have had much to learn about each other once they were married and in their own home.  I can only imagine how my own parents at age 17 and 19, and with my mother pregnant must have been together.

Now in New Zealand, the majority of young couples live together for some time before marriage is considered and how old fashioned the movie must seem to them. It was ok, if somewhat slow and I was glad to watch it on the couch at home while finishing my dinner.  3/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

It sounds like a movie that would depend entirely on its acting, with no other qualities mattering too much.