Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Breaking & Mending - Joanna Cannon

I like a good medical memoir, and Joanna Cannon writes a compelling story.  I liked that she started medical school in her 30s and was a "wild card" pick for her position.  As always there are nice stories about patients but it is the power of the personal experience that draws you in.  How close she came to burning out completely, how doctors working long hours in stressful circumstances with little to no support are often themselves worn out and tired, when we need them to be in top form when they are looking after us or our loved ones.  4/5

2 comments:

sallyhicks said...

I would like to read this. When I was in hospital last year a doctor .with about 6 students followed. They surrounded my bed and the dr. talked over me to them. A young man closest to me looked so tired. His eyes were bright red. As they filed out I whispered to him asking if he was alright. He said he had been working for18 hours. Such a sweet boy. After that each day after I was discussed he always gave me a little smile and wave. He will make a fine doctor. The rest were like robots.

John Bellen said...

I could never figure out why new doctors are worked to death during their training. It doesn't make them better doctors; it just increases the chances of mistakes.