Saturday, May 16, 2020

Middle Aged Lady Movie Night - Midsommar

Yippee the small independent cinemas have opened this weekend, although with social distancing there is some limits on the amount of people allowed at the movie.  The big multiplex chains have indicated that they will not be ready to open up until July.  I like the small independent Lighthouse cinema as you are unlikely to have anyone there under 25, and few cellphones and no popcorn, which suits this middle aged movie goer.  They are only playing movies that were on 7 weeks ago at the moment, and I will try and avoid crowds for a while.

So it is a Saturday night on the couch for me.  Midsommar played at last years film festival, but it was one I skipped although there is a special kind of thrill watching a horror with a big group of fans.  I am not sure that I totally got the whole story, but it was a departure from the other types of horror movies I have seen, and almost felt like a throwback to early genres.  A group of American friends travel to a midsummer festival in Sweden, set in a picture perfect set of meadows and hills, with a cast of beautiful Swedish folk.  Of course the once in a 90 year festival is involving a bit of killing.

I am not sure that I can stomach to much of the horror/thriller genre anymore.  This middle aged lady can't quite take the blood and gore, and even the scary music is a bit too much.  Luckily the laptop is a bit of a distraction while the movie plays.  3/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

It sounds much like "The Wicker Man". I'm surprised you would have gone for this one.