Sunday, May 17, 2020

Middle Aged Lady Movie Night - The Hollars

Say what?  Two nights in a row watching movies.   It's a new crazy world and I figure I can do what I want.  Actually there were a couple of shows on tv, but I find it better to record the whole series and then binge watch it, as I seem to follow the story much better that way.  Middle aged lady memory has trouble following the plot weeks apart.

So this was another 99c special on itunes, and I had to watch it as it only had 2 days left before I lost my money.  I knew nothing about this one going in, which sometimes offers up a small surprise.  This is the story of John Hollar a 30ish year old, who returns to his home town when his mum becomes sick.  Although a familiar story it has it's own charms.  A grumpy father and dysfunctional brother seem more humanized and realistic than other movies.  Sad and sweet in equal measure, it was pretty quick to watch and not too memorable.  3.5/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I've not heard of this one. Another small movie, the work-horse genre of cinema.