Sunday, May 03, 2020

Middle Aged Lady Movie Night - Ben-Hur

It was cold and wet in the city tonight and so after an afternoon nap and a delicious dinner of chicken curry and rice,  I planted my middle aged butt on the couch ready to watch some shows.  Ben-Hur was playing on the box, and as I had memories of watching Charlton Heston in the 70s play this iconic role, I switched this one on to watch it.  Made in 2016, it has the big scenes and the nadsome male actors, and a couple of female roles that had been expanded.  Somehow though in the telling of this big story, the personal story, was somewhat diminished and it felt a bit  busy and  over acted.  There were very few soft, quiet moments that make it a great movie.  Thinking of Russell Crowe in the field of wheat in Gladiator.  I did like the clothes and jewelry though - very nomad and of the moment.  2.5/5

2 comments:

John Bellen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Bellen said...

I imagine a lot of CGI... It's hard to beat the Heston version, with its literal cast of thousands.