Monday, February 18, 2008

Falling Man - Don DeLillo

Falling Man - Don DeLillo (2007)

Don DeLillo is apparently a serious writer who wrote this book about the experience of 9/11 and its affect on the main characters. I have never read anything he has written, just admired and touched his other books at the library and in the bookstores. They seem so grown up, so advanced, that even when I am actually now middle-aged they seem too adult for me. I feel I should be a professor , smoking a pipe, and reading them in an easy chair in front of the fire.

I had read the reviews about this book, about what a great writer Mr DeLillo is and what a brilliant and brave novel this is. I don't know, it just felt too wordy for me - like it was trying to cram too many into my mouth. Like shoving 20 marshmallows in your mouth, so many that you don't enjoy the flavour. I guess it is strange to consider a book to have to many words, when in essence that is what a book actually is composed of.

Mr DeLilo I am afraid I could only summon a low 1/5 for this book. I am sorry, I feel bad for not liking it but I need to enjoy my reading - I want it to flow, to make me want to read more not less, and to make me want to climb into bed at night with it.

No comments: