Monday, February 25, 2008

The Russian Concubine - Kate Furnivall

The Russian Concubine - Kate Furnivall (2007)

Lydia and her mother Valentina escape Russian after the Bolshevik Revolution, into Junchow China. Their life is tough, and Lydia roams free becoming involved with Chang, a Chinese young man with ties to the communists.

I struggled with the length of this book, and several times I was tempted to give up. Although an interesting story I found it a bit drawn out and felt it was an attmept to imitate Paulina Symons long novels about Russia. Then upon reaching page 577, only to find that it was getting set up for a second novel, I felt a bit cheated. So for you, my little big book I will give you a 1/5.

I think a more entertaining, and shorter novel about the russian exiles in China, is White Gardenia by Belinda Alexander.

No comments: