Sunday, February 10, 2008

In My Fathers Den

In My Fathers Den - DVD (2004)

This was one of those movies I kept missing, first my friends went, then when I found time to go it had finished, had to work the night it played at the film festival and although it played on tv recently I was unable to record it. So I gave in, and gave up my $4 at the library to borrow it.

Made in New Zealand with mainly New Zealand actors, it tells the story of Paul a photo journalist who returns from the battlefields for his fathers funeral. Played by Matthew Macfadyen, who I think was great in the role except for his impossibly British not a hint of kiwi accent and Emily Barclay who plays Celia, a lonely 16 year old with a passion for writing. They become friends and the movie sets out to tell of the history that twines both together.

Beautiful scenery of Otago in the south island makes you long to live on a quiet country road. I would go there if Matthew Macfadyen lived there. 3/5

No comments: