Sunday, April 20, 2008

Definitely Maybe

Definitely Maybe (2008)

My intention was that I would avoid this movie, as I had seen shorts and thought it was sure to be a by the numbers chick flick. I really wanted to see Lars and the real Girl, but friends outvoted my choice. So there we were, meeting at the cheap $10 movie theatre on a chilly autumn afternoon.

Actually it wasn't quite as I thought it would be, I thought Ryan Reynolds did a good job of holding his own as a leading man without coming across as smarmy. This movie promo picture doesn't really show but Abigail Breslin (the wee beauty queen from Little Miss Sunshine), is actually his leading lady, and shares half the screeen time, and is the source of most of the jokes. The three girlfriends that the story is about, at least come across as interesting and intelligent women, which does go against the grain of most hollywood parts.

A chick flick it is, go meet your girlfriend, have a latte and a big slice of cake and enjoy. 3/5

No comments: