Friday, April 11, 2008

People of the Book - Geraldine Brooks

People of the Book - Geraldine Brooks (2008)
I was hooked on the first page and enjoyed it to the last. Hanna Heath is a rare book expert who travels to Sarajevo to work on a famous Haggadah, a Jewish family prayer book that has survived 500 years. As the clues about the origins and path of the book come together, Hanna is able to restore the book and understand the mysteries held within it covers.

I loved the story and felt that it held up all the way through the book, was unpredictable and at least it didn't go all da vinci code and get caught up into too many silly stories, predictable deaths and car chases.

Definitely worth a look, I'm going to give it a 4.5/5. I'm going to go and read March, Geraldine Brooks earlier book, that I have sitting on my bookshelf. Apparently it won the Pulitzer prize for fiction, but I am not usually too convinced by literary awards. I find them a bit phony and pretentious and don't really feel they reflect the books I like.

No comments: