Sunday, January 11, 2009

Cross Country - James Patterson

Cross Country - James Patterson (2008)
After reading a couple of filler novels by James Patterson, I felt compelled to ignore those silly women in his murder club and stick to my old fave, Alex Cross. In this novel Alex becomes involved with a brutal murderer who uses a gang of young boys to help murder whole families. In discovering a connection to the Sudan and Nigeria, he travels to Africa to try and find 'The Tiger'.

I enjoyed the beginning, but the sometimes very graphic violence made me feel a bit disturbed and I felt that the author was too busy moving characters from scene to scene, and forgot to have a viable understandable logic to explain the jump from country to country. It had the feel of a badly drawn out action movie.

I sense too that James Patterson may be shutting down the Alex Cross character, if only because how many times would a cop put up with his family under threat, and is there any other way he knows of to end his novels? I think not. So Alex Cross, I have to give you a 3/5 if only for being so easily readable, especially at bedtime.

No comments: