Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Life on Mars

Life on Mars (2006)
My family despair of me, because I persist in having poor people tv (not sky or cable), and also the tv aerial got blown down in a storm several years ago. The landlord offered to get a replacement, but honestly I watch enough tv on the three channels I can get and once study is over, then I may consider dishing out more money. At the moment though I am happy that my entertainment dollar is spent at the movies and going out, rather than more tv.

That said, I managed to miss Life on Mars, when it played as it was on one of the channels I don't get. There is a special pleasure though, that comes from sitting down during the week and watching the dvd series, as you are able to follow the storyline much easier and it is a nice destraction from the drivel on the box at the moment (seriously haven't we been subjected to enough Ugly Betty, Lost, American Pie and Jerry McGuire).

So Life on Mars is about Sam Riley, a policeman injured in a car accident, who finds himself suddenly back in 1973, where he has to solve crimes without a mobile phone, computer and modern techniques. Instead he gets a bunch of lazy, smoking, drunk and the most un PC bunch of blokes, who are quick with the fists. Certainly a throw back to the Sweeney, I did enjoy this 8-episode dvd, so a 4/5. I had reserved the dvds and series 2 was sent out first, but I am glad I waited for series one, it might all make sense now.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

I watched a few episodes my I never warmed to this series, interesting concept but it was just to gloomy and dull for my taste. There's a follow up series with a female detective instead called Ashes to Ashes http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1008108/
I found that equally uninteresting. If you ask me, which I guess you don't;)