Thursday, February 04, 2010

The Book Thief - Marcus Zusak


The Book Thief - Marcus Zusak (2005)

I do admit to trying to read this book before, many a year ago. This year though it kept popping up on blogs, and peoples fave end of year books. So I bit the bullet, I coughed up the full dollars and bought it, and then rather than let it become a dust catcher, I actually read it.

So the premise is very smart, and at times touching and sad, as the book is narrated by death, in the second world war. In Germany he encounters Liesel, who at nine is living with a foster family in Munich. We get to know her new friends and family, and see many sides to the death and destruction that surround them.

I really liked the premise, and the characters were good, I could picture them in my mind movie. I just seemed to get bored in the middle, it seemed to flap around. I enjoyed the beginning, but it was the last third of the book that I enjoyed the most. I won't say it is a fave, and would even be hesitant to recommend to anyone, as it may not be to everybodies taste, but definately worth a solid 3/5.

1 comment:

Claire said...

i looooved this book :)