Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Elephant Keeper - Chris Nicholson


The Elephant Keeper - Chris Nicholson (2009)

I had passed by this book at the library once before, and as I already had a stack that would rival my height had left it on the shelf. Somewhere in blogland it popped up again, and with my interest pipped , I reserved it to read.

It feels like it has taken me weeks to read, but they may be because I have carried it with me every day, to and from work and to various social occasions. Using any chance I had to pick it up and read, as it is a novel worth the effort.

Tom Page works in the stables with his father for a wealthy landowner in the 18th century, when the master chooses to buy two elephants, in order to breed them for their ivory. Thus, Tom looks after both Timothy and Jenny, and becomes the elephant keeper, sharing their stories.

After many years and a few more owners, Jenny and Tom embark on their own life together, from stately homes to a squalid menagerie in London.

3/5 for this lovely book. I enjoyed the story, and loved the feeling of what it must have been like for people not knowing anything about these exotic animals.

1 comment:

Jeane said...

I think I should like to read this one.