Sunday, August 21, 2011

My Dear I Wanted To Tell You - Louisa Young














My Dear I Wanted To Tell You - Louisa Young (2011)

Riley Purefoy as a boy befriends a rich family, their daughter and an artist.  Leaving home to assist the artist, he finds himself in a more privileged life, one where he is not entirely welcomed.  So he signs up, and goes to Belgium and France to fight.  On a brief break he spends some time with Nadine, his childhood love, who has now trained to be a nurse and rejected her rich and overbearing family.

In battle, Riley is injured and is returned to Britain, to have pioneering plastic surgery, a relatively new field at the time.  When Nadine tries to visit, she is turned away and is rejected by Riley who can see no reason for him to continue the relationship.

So it seems a familiar story, one that I found a little stilted at the beginning, and I enjoyed it more as the story advanced.  3.5/5

No comments: