Sunday, October 06, 2013

Burial Rites - Hannah Kent

Burial Rites - Hannah Kent (2013)

In a harsh isolated farm in Northern Iceland in 1830, we meet Agnes Magnusdottir, a poor farm worker.  After a life of poverty, she finds herself convicted of the murder of two farmers and now is sent to an isolated farm, to await her execution.  Talking with the family ,and the young priest sent to hear her confessions, we get to hear about her life, how abandoned as a child she was left to rely on the parish to support her until she can begin earning for herself.

I found the beginning of the book a bit hard to get into, but about half way through I began to feel for Agnes, for the type of life she was forced to live in a time when women relied on men to decide their lives for them. How that in our modern life we think we are poor, but cannot imagine a life where you could own nothing, have no resources, no family to help out or support us.  How it must be to be truly alone in our life. 4/5



I know it has been almost a year since I posted on this blog, but I thought it was time I continued to write here, as I do love my books and in the past year I have read so many good ones.  I did get sick of posting here and Goodreads, but lately have been so disappointed in the Goodreads website.  Now bought out by Amazon, the standards have dropped and most of their recommendations are crappy Amazon cheap reads that they seem to peddle by the dozen.  Does that make me a book snob?  Each to our own I guess, we all have our own tastes.  So back to writing about the books I enjoy.

No comments: