Tuesday, June 24, 2014

All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr

This book had all the elements that I thought would work in this story.  A young Blind Parisian girl Marie-Laure is the daughter of a locksmith working at a museum.  When the Nazis occupy Paris, father and daughter escape to a small coastal town, to stay with a reclusive uncle and his housekeeper.

Told in tandem with the story of Werner, a German orphan who is trying to survive with his sister.  Discovering a love of fixing radios, this leads him to a life he never imagined in the dark evenings listening to distant voices.

For me, the story didn't quite gel, I just didn't feel the magic, and I kept waiting for it to happen, for it to show itself,  which was a shame as it was so close to being a magical story. I like a book that where I can't help picturing the characters and imagine their setting, yet with all the descriptions for me the visuals didn't come.  3/5

1 comment:

Marlene Detierro said...

This is not a love story, so if that is what you are looking for, this is not for you. But if you are looking for an amazing tale, with beautiful imagery, characters you fall in love with, and a plot that just wont let you put it down, All the Light We Cannot See is perfect for you. One of the best books of the year, and sure to be a classic.

Marlene
Top rated Landscaping Olympia WA site info