Wednesday, April 22, 2015

I'll Drink to That - Betty Halbreich

It is somewhat awkward to read a book that is  mainly talking about fashion, but doesn't have any pictures.  I would have loved to see some of the outfits that Betty Halbreich describes.  This memoir talks about her early life, growing up and then married to a domineering husband, motherhood and then her breakdown as the marriage falls apart.

Then, as she enters the workforce in her forties, Betty Halbreich becomes a personal shopper at Bergdorf Goodman, a job that she still holds at age eighty six.  Although somewhat charmed by her, part of me couldn't help feeling that she is a bit of an old bossy boots, but that rich old ladies might need a bit of that.  I am sure the money many of them spend in a year on clothes would be the equivalent or more of a whole of my years salary, a world I am not a part of.  4/5

No comments: