Saturday, November 10, 2018

Middle Aged Lady Movie Night - Mollys Game

Middle Aged Lady Movie Night has happened again.  This means the candles are lit, and the dent is made in the sofa and a movie is chosen.  Best of all it is a 99c special on Apple TV,  much better than spending $17 at the cinema.  I am sad and old now, and quite happy to enjoy the movie by myself at home, rather than getting dragged out to see it at the cinema.  As I seem to have the 200 day cough too, I haven't seen a movie at the theatre since July.

Mollys Games is a story about Molly Bloom, who was a promising young skier who has an accident injuring her spine,  finds herself in Los Angeles working as a waitress and an assistant to a guy who organizes Poker games with his friends every week, which he asks her to help run.   She then ends up running high end games with sports stars, actors, rappers and heads of business, taking in lots of money. 

Jessica Chastain is pretty mesmerizing in the lead role, I think she does a stellar job of making a pretty boring topic watchable.  I have no understanding of card games no matter how many times people have explained to me over the years, I have no head for remembering the rules or what cards have been played and gambling has no appeal to me whatsoever.

Then combining card games with law/court stuff makes it even more of a downer for me, two of the most boring combinations that I could think of it.  It is redeemed somewhat by having Idris
Elba as her lawyer,  and the combination of both of them working together made it a 3/5 for me.

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

It sounds like a boring subject to me, too. I'm sure the performances are good but that wouldn't be enough for me.

My middle-aged man movie night is also Saturday. I watch a film with one or two of the cats: Renn sometimes beside me, Raleigh often snoozing on my lap. It's much preferrable to going out on a cold night to an expensive movie that may be ruined by the audience.