Thursday, November 15, 2018

The Survivors - Kate Furnivall

This book is set mainly in a Displaced Persons camp directly after the war.  Klara and her 10 year old daughter Alicja are just trying to survive, when Klara spots a face from her past who she knows will cause trouble.

I had trouble believing this story, it seemed a bit disjointed and I couldn't visualize Klara and what she got up to.  I felt like I needed a bit more backstory to understand why she made some of the decisions she did.  She also seemed to push her daughter into some pretty risky situations rather than protect her, and in the end I didn't like her much based on her choices. 

So I struggled a bit to get through this one.  2/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

It's not a good turn of events when you don't like a book's principal character.