Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Middle Aged Lady Movie Night - Ben is Back

This is one of those movies that I no longer go to the cinema to see.  That kind of all too serious drama just gets me down, and often watching at home I find myself wandering away from the television or getting distracted.  Ben is Back is about the relationship between mum Holly (Julia Roberts) and her drug addict son Ben, who surprises the family by turning up at Christmas when he is meant to be in rehab.

Although a somewhat predictable story line, I was surprised that I watched the whole movie.  Great performances from everyone especially Julia Roberts.  I thought at first she was a bit sappy, but as the movie went on she showed her strength.  4/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

Disfunctional family dramas don't entice me. They are usually predictable, as you pointed out, and have too much unpleasantry, to varying degrees. I usually watch movies for escapism.