Sunday, October 20, 2019

Middle Aged Lady Movie Night - Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Saturday Night needed filling in before the rugby game started late, so it was time to catch up on some of the 99c specials I have on my apple tv.  I really like Melissa McCarthy as a person when I have seen her being interviewed and in many of her roles.  I am not a big fan of most of her movies however, as they all seem to be the same over played simplistic plots, with stories that seem to be written by 12 year olds.  She - I believe is better than that.

So in this movie, it is nice to see her take on a more dramatic role, and a more realistic wig/no makeup look to play author Lee Israel.  When she loses her job and with nothing waiting in the wings for her to write, she takes it upon herself to embellish and forge letters from celebrities from the past.  Passing them off as real, she realizes that she may be able to pay for her rent and drinks as long as the scam lasts.  Melissa does a stellar job of playing the acerbic and at times rude Lee, who seems to not realize that her star has ascended and her glory days are behind her.  Yet we can see that she is witty and clever and like most of us, is just looking for love and a way to survive the rat race.

I did however find it a bit drab and was shocked by what was under her bed!!  3/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I, for my part, have always thought Richard E Grant to be an under-rated actor - but I'm not going to watch this just to see what's under her bed!