Wednesday, October 02, 2019

Middle Aged Lady Watch - Mrs Wilson

Today was a strike day for us, so even though I had visions of going out to the movies and having lunch at a local cafe, after a late shift last night I just rolled over this morning, and woke up at a leisurely pace.  As there wasn't going to be any pay for today I saved some dollars, and dressed myself up in comfy pants, a warm hoody and slippers.  Just as I hit the couch with my toasted sandwiches for lunch and a big glass of apple juice, the temperatures dropped and a hail started before the rain set in.  A good choice to stay at home in the end.

Mrs Wilson was a 3 part mini-series that I recorded earlier in the year and I like the ability to sit and watch it in one go, so that I may follow the story a bit easier.  Based on her grandmothers story, the actress Ruth Wilson plays her grandmother Alison Wilson.  When her husband dies suddenly, Alison Wilson discovers that she was not the only wife of husband Alec Wilson (played by Iain Glen).  She also finds out that a lot of his past stories were in fact lies, and she sets out to find out the truth for her and their two suns.

I really enjoyed this period set piece,  which flicked between the early 40s and 60s as it told the story of their first meeting and early marriage and their life 20 years later.  Ruth Wilson is always an interesting watch, and such a good actress, being believable as both the young naive  20 year old and the older more jaded mother.  A satisfying cold day on the couch watch.  4/5

3 comments:

John Bellen said...

It’s interesting that the actress was able to portray her own grandmother who had such a dramatic story to tell.

Are you on strike, then?

sallyhicks said...

Was about to leave a comment when there was a rattle outside my bedroom door. It is close to the unlocked front door so am quite terrified and the police are coming to check it out. It might be a rat as the weather is so cold in which case I will get pest control in tomorrow but I am as scared of a rat as I am of an intruder.
This film looks good and as it is 11.45pm I will see if I can find it on Netflix or apple. It kind of rings a bell so perhaps I may have seen it ages ago. We shall see.
Poppy Q. Is looking cosy with heaters and I assume electric blanket. I have mine on as well

sallyhicks said...

Very tall strong policemen searched house and grounds. All clear. They were so kind . Must be a rat 🐀. Just as bad. Pest control tomorrow. Oh sweetest Poppy Q could you visit for a few days? How lucky mum is