Sunday, October 27, 2019

The Volunteer - Jack Fairweather


This is the true story of Polish farmer and reserve Calvary officer Witold Pilecki, who volunteers to enter Auschwitz to try and get honest reports or what is happening inside the camp and forming some type of resistance.  What he finds of course, is far and beyond what he had imagined, the murder of thousands of men, women and children which at the time was mostly unknown to the wider world.

It is at times quite the harrowing read, and I had to set the book aside several times in order to process what I had read.  His story though deserves to be more widely known, and I am sure many more people will know who he is because of this book.  4/5

2 comments:

sallyhicks said...

My second cat from the Blue Cross when I was eleven, had the best of everything. After a bad neutering experience she would not eat for 3 days. My Dad bought a lot of fresh whitebait ( so expensive) and we fed them to her one by one.She lived to be 16 and no teeth. She had the best bed possible but would sleep on a wooden shelf above for a year. She then gained confidence and lived out all her years in luxury and happiness. 🥰

John Bellen said...

I've never heard of this man, or his mission.