Friday, October 03, 2008

All the Colours of Darkness - Peter Robinson

All the Colours of Darkness - Peter Robinson (2008)
It is a funny time of year for me. I am in the midst of my studies, so time to reading is limited to a 20 minute rest before sleeping and maybe 10 minutes in the morning as I dry my hair. So I want the book to be good, to make up in quality when I am unable to read any quantity of stories. I want my investment of time to reap rewards, to feel satisfied as I put the book down, and to want to race to pick it up as I climb into bed.

This is the second Peter Robinson novel I have read this year. Chief Inspector Banks is this time investigating the alleged murder suicide of a homosexual couple in Eastvale, Yorkshire. Well standing in the shower the other morning I realised as I applied my second shampoo that I knew who did it and why at page 213. Only another 194 pages til the end of the book, and I felt they dragged on through.

Somehow I think that I should really be a 65 year old bloke, with a knitted cardi, a pipe and sitting beside the fire reading these books. A bit slow and predictable and although peppered with current music and cultural references, it all felt like the author was trying too hard.

I do have another of his books on the shelves to conquer sometime. In the meantime I will try to find something more satisfying to read. Oh I wonder what will be next? (I did pop into the library today as some reserved books were ready).

No comments: