Monday, October 20, 2008

The Reading Pile

One of my sweet friends has suggested a book club. I am never very good at clubs, and always forget the rules. So I thought I would let you know what books were piling up in my room, calling out to be read (they are all library books and have to be back soon!!). You would be welcome to pull up a chair, grab a glass of whatever you fancy and a nibble of something tasty. Let me tell you what is on the book pile, waiting to be read.

  • Dead Mans Footsteps - Peter James. A thriller that I am currently reading and enjoying a lot. I have never read this authors books before but will be searching out more when I have finished.
  • Tethered - Amy McKinnon. A woman works in the mortuary and is visited by a strange young girl. I read the first two chapters while on a slow bus journey the other day. I try not to have two books on the go, my brain is slow and I am easily confused.
  • Skeletons at the Feast - Chris Bohjalian. Always a very readable author, this again is a tale of a group of folks who end up together in Europe after WWII. Who can resist a war tale?
  • Sashenka - Simon Montefiore. A novel about a woman in revolutionary Russia. Again another compelling time, and an author who has written non-fiction about the time. I read a recommendation on a web site for this one.

Waiting at the library to be picked up is : Nocturne by Diane Armstrong, whose book Winter Journey I just read and thoroughly enjoyed.

So that is the next months reading pile. Why do I always find great books when there is so much study to do? Luckily television is pitiful at the moment, and so switching off the box and curling up in bed is not a bad alternative. The weather is such, that we have one nice spring evening followed by three cloudy and windy ones, so great reading weather.

1 comment:

Toulouse said...

Hi,

I really do think you would do a fabulous job with a book club but it is difficult for everyone to coordinate time, date etc.

You have quite an interesting selection of reading material. I'm someone who have 3 books going at a time: spiritual, self-help and encouraging type of book, and either a fiction or non-fiction book. It depends on my mood.

I did find a very interesting book that I found at the Dollar Store. The book is Called "Princess Sultanta's Circle" by Jean Sasson. It's a trilogy and I am reading the third book, but it is a true story. It spells out the gripping revelations of life with unimaginable wealth and shocking human rights abuses inside the royal family of Saudi Arabia. I never really thought such problems existed. But it is a gripping book and one that is hard to put down.

You are from New Zesland? Correct? My youngest daughter lives in Australia and is a professional ballet dancer. Long story, but I really miss her.

I agree with you about turning the TV off and curling with a good book. We are going into the Fall/Winter season which is a perfect time to read. Reading your blog is inspiring me to read more and more every day!

Hope you had a great weekend!

Your Friend,
Michelle