Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Secret Life of Bees

The Secret Life of Bees (2008)
I was looking forward to this one, I saw the hype on Oprah where she met the stars and I read the book, years and years ago. I am wary of Oprah reviews, so many of the books she selects are not to my taste.

Dakota Fanning plays Lily, a southern girl in the 60's who has an unhappy home life. Damaged by the abuse of her father and the memories of her mother, she runs away with the housekeeper Rosaleen. They find a farm run by three woman, producing honey.

It was nice to be amoungst the youngest in the cinema, and although only seating about 40, I believe there wasnot a single male in the audience, they were all out watching scifi or action movies. The secret life fell a bit flat for me, it didn't sparkle or shine and I walked out of the theatre unmoved which was a shame. So, I can only give it a 2/5 but I am secretly wishing to give it a 3.

Still it was nice to get out on an autumn Sunday afternoon, and I had a nice lunch in Petone at Go Bang. A good orange juice and a great baked stuffed potato. Sometimes, life is good.

No comments: