Saturday, June 20, 2009

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict - Laurie Viera Rigler

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict - Laurie Viera Rigler (2008)
Courtney Stones solves lifes little problems by curling up in bed with a Jane Austen novel. So after finding out her fiance is cheating on her, she wakes up one morning to find that she is in Regency England and straight into the world of the novels she loves.

Now, even though I finished the book last night I had to look up Amazon to find out the main characters name. I didn't know this had been filmed as Lost in Austen, which I had bought several weeks ago on DVD, but not seen yet. I had wanted to see it on the tele, but my aerial refuses to give me the channel it was viewing on.

Better yet, there is a second novel - Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict coming out on the 25th of June.

It was an amusing wee book, and for a first novel I admire her ability to step into the Regency world without coming across as too twee. I was surprised though that the main character didn't comment much on the changes she observed and that she thought the food was good. I could hardly imagine that in the time before fridges, that families would have been wasteful with putting out large quantities of food at meal times.

And besides a lack of makeup, how would the modern girl cope without a hair dryer and straighteners, and a lack of elastic in your knickers. Oh the horror.

3/5 - cause I like Jane Austen, costume dramas and a bit of Regency England.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

Oh, I loved "Lost in Austen"! It was on TV here around Xmas last year. Highly recommended, good buy:) I didn't know it was based on a book, seems like a neat read!