Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister - Gregory Maguire

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister - Gregory Maguire (2000)
Standing in Borders, waiting for a friend on a rainy day, I picked up this book and read the first page. Should I buy it, I was keen to read it but it was $30 that could pay for my lunch. So, instead I reserved it from the library and was able to pick it up within two days.

I enjoyed this grown up tale of Cinderella very much. Taking away the fairytale elements and placing the story in 17th centuary Holland in the midst of Tulip fever, I was entranced by the fate of Iris, Ruth and their mother who upon arriving penniless and homeless seek to place themselves in a home.

3/5 for this very grown up fairy tale, without any fairies.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

This sounds intriguing, will check it out!