Wednesday, September 09, 2009

A Mercy - Toni Morrison



A Mercy - Toni Morrison (2008)

I hate to say it, but I had to abandon reading this little book which made me sad. Sad first, because I had reserved it first in March of this year, and waited til August to get my chance at reading. And sad also, because when living in London in 1994, I read most of Toni Morrisons other offerings and enjoyed them and the stories she told.

So after only a measly 10 pages, I betrayed the book and picked up another, never to return again.

I couldn't get into understanding the characters, and struggled with their written accents and in truth, the book didn't speak to me. It didn't drag me in, convince me and change my mind. I am sure many people enjoyed it, and I think she is a great writer. But, it's competitive out there, and I have another 6 books waiting on my nightstand to be read before they have to be back at the library.

3 comments:

Sara Katt said...

Sorry to leave a comment that is not about this book. (But I shall return and take another look later.)
I wrote to Poppy Q:
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my blog for Wordless Wednesday.
Please come back and get your free link.
I changed my mind and switched to McKlinky instead of Mister Linky's Magical Widgets. I think McKlinky works better.
Sara Cat (& her mum Christina Wigren)

Lezlie said...

Bummer that you had to abandon it. When I finally get around to reading Toni Morrison (which I will!), I won't start with this one. :-)

Lezlie

Pia K said...

a gorgoeus cover image on this book! i've (so far) never read anything my ms morrison, but i do have a couple of her books in my shelf. i guess i should get reading on those just staning there, waiting instead of oooing over new ones, hm...

anyone in particular you can recommend of hers?