Friday, April 02, 2010

The Lady and the Poet - Maeve Haran


The Lady and the Poet - Maeve Haran (2009)
I like a good period drama and historical novel, and in this book I think Maeve Haran takes the things I like best, and combines them. I like that it was based on real people, the poet John Donne and his wife Ann More and tells us how they met and fell in love.
Ann who meets the poet, has been matched by her father to another older more stable man, and she must fight against his wishes in order to stay with her true love. When you think back to the time, in the 1600s, it must have taken a bit of stubbornness to ignore your fathers wishes, in a time when women were forced to do their families bidding.
So a solid 4/5 for this one.
Have a happy Easter, I have a stack of housework to do, some new cds to play, some dvds hired and lots of things to keep me busy for the four days ahead.

1 comment:

Penelope Sanchez said...

I am planning on buying this book for a special person in my life. Im intrigued by the review, even though our relationship is not forbidden. Yet, I know she will enjoy this book.

regards,
rowena of Beef Jerky